Education is obtained by the knowledge transfer from one person to another. Itmakes an individual learn by himself basing upon the observation and exploration, experiences, recognitionupon looking into the society. It automatically tends to bring about the changes in habits, living style and skill. It is with this education that our earlymen have transformed into civilized human.
History of knowledge transfer dates back to millions of yearswhere there exists no provision to education that we are enjoying now. In those times, knowledge transfer has been made on various aspects like culture, tradition, beliefs and skills by oral propagation only from one generation to another. This course of passing the information continued for few years, with which the information on skills and customs increased gradually that slowly led way for the transition to hand written symbols and finally letters during the period of 3500 BC. It was Egypt that first led to the idea of hieroglyphic prototype borrowing which other scripts emerged. The base they used for writingincludes monuments, clay tablets, wax tablets as they can be reused again, strip from the tree bark, etc. With the passage of time the contributions fromplethora ofgreat people like Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc. increased in the field of education which has now led the way to the refined society by their legendary contribution towards education.
Type of education
Formal education: This education is rendered through educational institutions, schools, etc. every institution has its own set of courses that they deliver to the students. There are several sub-divisions the student undergoes during his educational transition like preschools, primary schools, secondary schools, high schools, followed by tertiary schools that comesunder graduation and post-graduation at University level.
Non-formal education: This is different from that of formal education and can be categorized basing upon the purpose it is delivers.
Informal education: Informal education focuses on educationthat can be achieved in form of recreation. This aids to learn many things by means of everyday activities. Indigenous education also comes into informal education which enables education of native knowledge that helps to revival of native cultures and traditions.
Modes of Learning
Visual learning: This is the most commonly used mode to deliver the knowledge in most of the schools and institutions. In this mode, one learns from understanding his observations.
Auditory learning: The e-learning or the distant learning mechanisms rely on this mode, where we can attain knowledge on listening to the topics and sessions.
Kinesthetic learning: Learning by practice makes it worth easier to grab information by means of practical learning rather than theoretical learning.
The teaching methods which enables coverage of all the three different modes mentioned above deems to be more effective in providing better learning opportunities.
The kinds of higher education
University systems: Social activities, teaching, research oriented studies etc. come under university systems. A bunch of colleges come under a university. Both public universities and also government universities are present in various countries in the world.
Art colleges: Unlike the professional or technical education art colleges follow university curriculum. The term is frequently used for the universities present in United States.
Open systems: Today, Open University systems are the dominant medium of education apart from e-learning. The demand for Open University is because of the low prices. Other cultural and social reasons are also responsible.
- Community colleges are the few set of colleges in the respective area. They provide education limiting the students to the specific region.
Purpose of education
- The primary purpose of education is to make an individual master in information or the knowledge gained.
- It is not only for the purpose of amplifying knowledge but also to acquire various other underlying concepts like -
Philosophy of education: Here, a philosophical methodology like analytical, theoretical, etc. is adopted to answer the questions. Socrates used to use a philosophical method wherein he used to breakdown down the question into series of questions, where answer to each of them would lend the solution to main problem.
Educational psychology: This focuses mainly on how the humans gain the educational benefits and the effectiveness ininvolving towards it. It also lays importance on how the accomplishment of knowledge be laid upon ordinary people and also upon those with specific disabilities.
Sociology of education: This field focuses on how the individual andinstitutional involvements affect the consequences of education. It is known that education has the capability to drive away any shortcomings like disabilities, poverty, weaknesses, etc. by paving way to progress. Generally, the stimulus to get educated is different to different people like it may be to improve wealth, to achieve better career progression or even to expand knowledge on the specific subject area of interest.
Role of Technology in Education
- With the evolution of technology that is delivering up-to-date and better digital equipment's like computers and smartphones, there has been a hailing significance to education. There have been advanced practices in providing education with the support of technology growth. It facilitated in fostering online education where the student is given flexibility to choose the topic based upon his interest.
- It has introduced various learning tools that help in virtual demonstration of various concepts. Virtual manipulative is an example of such a tool which can be easily accessible over internet. Many research works on Virtual manipulative has indeed generated better efficiency than that of regular methods of teaching approaches.
- There are several other tools available over the web that enables the use of technology in taking feedbacks, conducting assessments and make discussions.
- Several reference books are made available that covers all the topics and provide information on various aspects aiding in self-learning. This helped in evolution of e-learning. Several sites like that of Wikipedia are successful in covering almost all the known subject areas.
- Various devices of Information and communication technologies like television, internet, etc. have lend support in providing distance learning.
- We can also see the evolution of laptops, desktops, white boards, tablets, etc. in classrooms.
Initiative from the Government in Encouragement towards Education
- The foremost initiative taken is the necessary primary education to everyone. The right to education has helped implanting mass schooling which stressed on the right to be educated disrespect to any differences in caste or creed.
- Adult learning is also being encouraged to educate the adults in gifting the knowledge deliverance on various backgrounds like subject oriented, philosophy, etc.
- There are several charities being received from different communities to help the government take initiative towards rendering free education to the unprivileged students with required infrastructure and educational resources.
- With the help of technology, Indian Space Research Organization has enabled the access to educational materials at reduced price by launching the communication satellitenamely, EDUSAT. Its launch has enabled availability of knowledge materials to greater part of the country's population.
- Government's decision towards one laptop to every individual also shows the necessary efforts being undertaken to carry the educational rights to everyone.
- An international organization, UNESCO, has also been emerged to foster the education.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- This organization was set up in the year 1945 with headquarter in France.
- The main objective of UNESCO is to foster intercultural exchange of ideas, peace, eliminate poverty and ensure long-term development with the education as the major tool to achieve all of them.
- UNESCO's key mission comprises of improving the rate of literacy through various programs like technical and training programs, science programs, etc.
- It strives to bridge the gap between different countries across the world to bring about the natural heritage. This is achieved by conducting various promotional projects on cultural diversity, regional historyand translation of famous world literatures.
- It lays main priority in guaranteeing equal education for every person.
- It renders support in all educational research activities by providing proficient partners.
Education in Economic Growth
For the country to develop in its economic grounds, it is required to have the availability of educated "Human Capital". Many references portray that it is easy for the under developed country to get in par with the already developed country in terms of technology. It is for the fact that they can implement those cost-effective technologies that are already tried upon by the forward countries. And for this, they require the man power who are proficient in able to run the adopted technology. This helps in leading the track for the economic development by driving away the poverty.
The basic concept behind the importance of education is to get the answers on various Why, What, How and When questions and implement those into practice. The value of education gets reflected only when it is put on reality. It is always said that, the knowledge gained is to be shared which fosters the growth of informational awareness among every individual. There are several research works, inventions and discoveries made with the base knowledge gained, all of which we are seeing them around. Though several initiatives are being undertaken by the government, it is the individuals' soul responsibility to understand the importance of education and attain it accordingly.